The resurgence of the vinyl record

Bought this vinyl record, sealed, the
same day I wrote this article
I've been a fan of the vinyl record since I remember. I'm not that old at 34 years old but I remember these big black things weren't sold anymore circa 1991. The other popular media at the time was the compact cassette, or just cassette as we used to call it. Awful technology. Always hated how it sounded. It was handy but the sound quality was so terrible that I preferred not to carry music with me. Then the CD was popular and it sounded good but, I don't know... It never was the same. So I started buying vinyls in 1996 to start a collection. Many years passed and at least in my side of the world no one even remembered them. I actively started looking for good printed music like five years ago. I came across a marketplace called DiscoGS which is very much like eBay but just for records. Awesome place. Easy to start your online inventory, look for records, mark them in a want-list so you can check the market for what you're looking for. You can find records in mint condition, or used in near-mint to good condition from almost any country you can think of. I've bought many from the UK and Germany. Most sellers are physical record stores which have their catalogs online so it's totally secure to buy from them. They know perfectly how to pack so they won't arrive broken.


AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable that
I bought back in august 2011 from Amazon
Funny thing is, something happened. Somehow the millenials got interested in what was considered an obsolete; even absurd technology. Somehow there were new long-play records printed. I did some research and I found articles telling that there were so few places to cut and print a record that companies were struggling to cope with the demand. Now Amazon sells LPs like pancakes and almost every serious artist release gets printed. So what happened? People picked up the idea of having a big cardboard photograph of their artists in their hands... I went to San Fran last december and found lots and lots of newly printed records, and lots and lots of different newly developed record players, which I like to call "turntables". Now there are even wall-mounted and portable players like in the 60s. Now I went to a coffee-library (coffeebrary as they call themselves) and got out with four albums under my arm. Last time I could do that was maybe 1990. I felt so special...

So what are you waiting for? Go to your nearest Urban Outfitters and get an Audio Technica LP120 USB turntable which by the way, doesn't require any obscure connections or amplifiers. You can connect it either to your computer directly or to any auxiliary input, order some records from Amazon, Best Buy, or DiscoGS and start groovin'!

You can load the stock needle at 2.3 grams to avoid over-wearing your records! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinematic Orchestra - Man with a moving camera

Classic: Donna Summer - Four Seasons of Love